Playboy Super Shooter Pinball Tournament 1978

Custom leather jackets, backlit floor, bunnies keeping score… and a Nissan 280zx to the Champ? Take me there, back, WABAC! Ken Lunceford, where you at!??!

Write up from Loose Change magazine from April of 1978. Click on through for a larger, more legible image.

1. August 3, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Here’s the iron-on:

Top 3 won cars.

2. August 3, 2010 at 1:50 pm

By the way if anyone wants the full article, you can purchase back issues from the publisher. I ordered a copy and it came in new/excellent condition.

The issue is April 1978.

3. Ken Lunceford
    September 5, 2010 at 12:58 am

Hey,
    Thanks for the mention in the article.

4. Chris Parra
    February 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I just found this site. I was in that tournament and came in 3rd place and won a Datsun B210 hatchbACK. Im the one in the video holding the trophie and keys! AWESOME!!

5. Dan Cerny
    June 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hey Ken and any other Super Shooters reading this:

I just came into possession of your 2 Supershooter jackets plus a small treasure trove of paperwork- everything from your tourney invitation and name badge to your plane ticket and Datsun delivery slip plus lots of correspondence regarding endorsements and personal appearances from after this event.

I’ve actually got several pages with mini-bios on all the finalists, as well. Would love to know what everyone is up to and hear more stories about this whole thing- your experiences and what it was like.

Thanks so much!
    dan c (dcerny at gmail)

6. Linda Wallis
    January 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I recently purchased a Balley Eight Ball Pin Ball Machine and inside I found a photo of Ross B. Scheer and the winner Kenneth Lunceford at the tournament in 1978. Don’t know if my machine was used in the tournament, but would sure like to know a way to find out.

7. Chris Parra
    January 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Linda,
    Hi, I was in that tournament in 1978 and came in 3rd and won a car. About your comment, we did play 8 ball in the tournament so I would think that machine was in it. I’d love to have that machine! How much??

8. David Blain
    January 29, 2012 at 6:08 am

Chris,
    I was in the tournament too. I was your roommate. this is the first I have see on this since that day. very excited.

9. Cendra Jahnig Siler
    December 20, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I was in that tournament too! I was the only female and came in tenth! Was just telling a friend about this today