Pinburgh 2011: Round 10 – Funhouse

Four players battled it out on Funhouse during round 10 of Pinburgh. The top qualifier in B Division and seeding for the playoffs were at stake. Watch as the players employ drastically different styles of play to put Rudy to sleep and shoot for that trap door.

Player 1: Rob Timberlake
Player 2: Steve Bowden
Player 3: Joe Kosack
Player 4: John Greatwich

***
Pre-registration for PAPA 14 -the World Pinball Championships- is now available here.
***

1. April 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Oh man, that instant replay was classic!

2. April 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Thanks, Bowen for that great commentary. It was cool to see what I was doing right, and wrong while I was playing. I have to get better at recognizing when a good slap save will help me.

At 11:19, what actually happened was, the ball rose up a bit above the flipper to where it almost jumped over it for a jumpball drain. Somehow, I got lucky enough to flip it into the lock anyway. I think I said, “What was that, Rudy?! What was THAT?!” referring to his “Rudy gulp” quote.

If you know me, you know that I never use trash talk toward my opponents. However, Rudy is a conniving bastard. As you can see, he did not appreciate my comment towards him 🙂

3. Kevin
    April 12, 2011 at 3:53 am

The instant replay around 8:05 is a nice touch.

Am I imagining things or can I hear the roar of a crowd in the background?

4. Tylt
    April 12, 2011 at 4:33 am

Blimey, watching the ball move around, that playfield seems near vertical. I recon this is the fastest paced game I have seen.

Was it common in the Pinburgh to play two head-to-head matches combined in a four player game?

BTW thanks for the permanent player info.

5. David
    April 12, 2011 at 5:13 am

Thanks. Great commentary.

6. April 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

@Kevin: One of the benefits of the overhead camera is that many people can get a good view of play without trying to look over the player’s shoulder. After we started playing the game, a decent number of people sat down to watch us.

@Tylt If I recall correctly, the game was set with the front legs all the way down and the back legs all the way up, or at least that’s how it felt.

All Pinburgh matches were 4 player and each competitor got a win/loss record based on how they finished. For example: since I finished second here, I got 2 wins and 1 loss for this game. It was important not only for me to beat Rob but for me to finish as high as possible. I didn’t know how well the top player in the next highest group was doing (JP McCarthy). Since I also beat Joe here, that second win I got helped me to take the top seed by one-half game over JP.

7. Tylt
    April 12, 2011 at 11:59 am

Ah, I see. I thought that each round was 9 games. 3 machines, 3 opponents. Now that I realise that a round was only 3 games, the tournament seems a lot harder. But in fact, it makes more sense too.

Looking forward to see more vids.

8. April 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

@Tylt: Actually, you are right if you look at it as how you finished against every opponent you faced in the round.

If you finish in first place in each of the three games in a round, you would be 9-0. This is because you got three victories (you beat three players) in each of the three games for a total of 9 wins for that round.

9. Tylt
    April 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I thought each round was 9 games per player as 2 player games. One for each opponent on each machine. Now I see it is 3 games per round as one 4 player game on each machine. And I think that is a more sensible way to do it.