Pinball Tutorial Double Feature!

We did some tidying up around PAPA HQ in preparation for the upcoming World Pinball Championships August 11-14. While cleaning my computer I found a few vertical tutorials hanging around from one of our earlier filming sessions. In the first video, we battle the Borg in Star Trek: The Next Generation en route to the Final Frontier. In the second video Bowen tackles three different strategies in The Shadow: Upper Playfield, Vengeance, and Loops.

***

The World Pinball Championships will be held at PAPA Headquarters August 11-14, 2011. Pre-register on our homepage. The weekend of pinball will feature divisions for all skill levels, three separate classics-only tournaments, and much more. Come play pinball with us!
***

1. David
    July 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I love you guys long time. These videos are great.

2. Joseph Lemire
    July 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm

This is just pure silliness haha

3. July 21, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Great work as always PAPA team! At the Pin a Go Go tournament many were talking about the vids.

4. David
    July 22, 2011 at 12:01 am

“Let’s play Search the Galaxy next. This is a tough mode…”

[10 seconds later, the mode has been completed, complete with bonus]

Wow. 🙂

5. Todd H
    July 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

When it says “The Sun is Shining, but the ice is slippery”… When The Shadow meets someone that he needs to talk to in more detail, he tells the person that when one of his associates come to meet them in real life to discuss more details about something The Shadow needs, they will say “The Sun is Shining, but the Ice is Slippery” to indicate to the person that this conversation involves “The Shadow”.

In the Pin the call out “Shadow!” is the same as “The Sun is shin….”. Indicating The Shadow is coming.

6. July 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I knew what it meant, but it’s still pretty damn silly. Ken and I used to change it to “The sun is shining… but the quote is meaningless.”

MARGO! LAMONT? GOMEZ! TISH.

7. Chris
    July 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Very nice 2B Final Frontier, Bowen! Years ago, obviously with some extra balls, I hit my 2nd Final Frontier with 3B bonus. Very satisfying. I do understand though why STTNG is rarely used at PAPA with the unbalanced scoring and the importance of memorizing the Shuttle Simulation path.

Thanks for the 2 great tutorials!

8. EZL
    November 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

What happened in the end of the ST:TNG-game? You drained the ball due to “evil game malfunction”(TM) but wasn’t the multiball running already? It shouldn’t have ended the game?

November 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

That’s one of the unusual rule quirks in STTNG. That malfunction should never really happen, so the rules don’t compensate like you think they should. It’s an unfortunate little snag, but it’s also one that is very, very rare. It’s just one of those crazy things we caught it on camera this time around.

I don’t know for certain, but my guess is the ball-saver didn’t kick in because the appropriate switch(es) weren’t hit yet, or the timer hadn’t begun. Someone else can likely chime in with more technical details, but that’s my guess.

9. andy rosa
    February 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

sun is shining, ice is slippery- ice is the most slippery when its just above freezing, sun shining, and the ice has a glaze of water on its surface. The statement is referring to just because its sunny out, and warmer than freezing, does not mean there is no ice:)…esp on the roads…