PAPA 14 Classics 1 Semifinals

As the first video in our PAPA 14 series, we offer Derek Fugate, Josh Sharpe, and Phil Birnbaum competing on the Bally classic “Gator” from 1968. Gator offers a unique play experience with zipper flippers and gates that release your ball back into the shooter lane.

At this point in the competition, All three competitors have made their way to the Classics 1 tournament semifinals. This is game one of group one, so there is no prior score heading into the match.

1. Womble
    November 8, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Huzzah, more vids! Love the vids!

2. November 8, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Wow, it was so great to see a rollover in tournament play! Can’t wait for more PAPA 14 coverage. Thanks for posting!

3. Pete Evans
    November 8, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Thanks, Bowen. I’ve got a Dixieland that I need to start restoring, and this may have been the inspiration I needed.

4. cait
    November 9, 2011 at 12:34 am

love the commentary. I wish the tournaments could happen without the glass, for the camera’s sake.
    And as always, your multi-camera views are ALWAYS loved.

5. November 10, 2011 at 1:50 am

Thanks for the comment, Cait. Due to some unusual possibilities (mainly, the ball flying out of the game completely) PAPA games can’t be played without the glass on. However, PAPA has several sheets of non-glare glass, so a lot of the tournament footage will appear as though there were no glass. Gator, I think, has some sort of dedicated glass situation that can’t be swapped out.

And, as you might expect, the multi-camera view is obtrusive to players — it is a camera mounted to the lockdown bar of the machine. Until a better solution comes along you won’t see any tournament footage with the “flipper cam”.

Thanks for watching!

6. Jason Werdrick
    November 10, 2011 at 11:32 am

As Fugate would say “What do you think of that!”

7. November 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Another awesome vid. Never considered playing a zipper flipper game as methodically as Fugate. Nice to see, but I’m not sure how I feel about it.

8. Stephen
    November 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’m so happy to see a zipper flipper game in a competition. Gator has always interested me, so it was a treat to see it in action with players that know what they are doing. Nice work on the running commentary as usual, Bowen.

@ Pete Evans – Good luck getting your Dixieland up and running. It was my first pin purchase and I love playing that one.