PAPA 14 Quarterfinals Group 4 – Spiderman

Adam and Cayle kick off PAPA 14 finals coverage with Group 4’s path through the quarterfinals. In a PAPA-style finals round, the players compete on three machines. The winner of each game receives four points. Second place receives two points. Third place receives one point, and fourth place receives zero points. After all three games have been played across all four quarterfinal groups, the top eight of sixteen qualifiers will advance to the semi-finals.

Group four competed on Spiderman, Iron Man, and Terminator 2. We will follow each group of players through the quarterfinals in order.

1. LDK
    March 13, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Awesome commentary. Learned a lot from watching and listening.

2. Roy Wils
    March 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

about the fault he made about the ball savers on the outlanes while battle royale.. he didnt know that,. he was devestateed by it, back there.. if he didnt tilt or made the battle royale shot.. he certainly nailed the 4 points.. lesson learned for paul there definently.. he’ll be back thou ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Adam
    March 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm

A note on the commentary. On Paul’s ball 2, we incorrectly state that “Bonesaw” completes and that Paul 3X’d his left spinner. Actually, the mode timed out, and the flashing white arrows were just to qualify the next mode. Also, during various MBs, a few of the stated Doc Ock “rejects” are in fact just hits on Doc Ock who is, of course, down during his MB.

This was a great match and a lot of fun to do commentary on (games 2 and 3 will be up soon). Everyone in the group played very well considering the difficult setups and tremendous pressure of PAPA Finals.

4. Roy Wils
    March 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm

i wanna make an comment about that particular spiderman table.. i mean gosh that table,. it definently ruined my whole tournament during papa14,. there is no doubt about that.

i never argueing such things like tilt settings.. but the way that spiderman was setted up on about tilt! it was ugly HARD and beyond crazy tilt,. couldnt work with it at all.. not even a bit. i feel that such tilt setup was wrong for everyone, and should be adjusted way better

i agree when organisers say that they should make the game harder then normal,. no problem about that..

but not that hard c’mon!! and why also ? i dont see it ??

especially not in combination with the fact that doc ock worked out badly on all the players, just like some players in the above video,.i shooted doc ock dead center in it,. and BOOM straight thru the middle as an counter attack.. which happens on my last ball.. (oddly enough it was my only good shot on the game) anyway the ball ran away, with no fault at all on my part.

didnt had the chance on SM at all to play a decent ball basically in my point of view.

my first ball out there on SM,. i gave the machine a little bar push when the ball was in the bumpers to get more ball action for more bumps, normally its ok (but i wasnt aware of the whole odd tilt game sickness)

so i did and then it was immediatly like DANGER/DANGER TILT.. ball lost.. i was like OK WTF :S gdbye first ball.. i believe the ball didnt even touched the flipper before the game tilted.

well i say,. the least thing organisors could do to make it fair for everyone,. is like telling all the players before play ball on it.. about that unlucky ultra hard tilt setting!!

or write it down on a cardboard or a piece of paper and paste it on the backglass machine to make all players aware of that outragious tilt setting

i cant believe nobody else really argued about that during the game while it was goin, felt strange to me.. even now.. :S

i was definently shocked and furious MAD cuz of it at the same time after the zero points SM game.. it opened my eyes right away, and as an sort of revenge!! i blasted the ironman table,. killed the table to show people that i could play mean pinball.. ironman was an good game to play on! had fair tilt settings, i even took the best score on it by all the players during semi’s,.

but it was too late for me, because those accumulated points wasnt enough (5) to get thru

i hope such VERY tight tilt settings wont happen anymore in future tournaments.. i am ok with tight tilt but not outragious tight. it is just not right.. i dont be here to seed hate, i just want to make my point,.

and i truly hope such tilt settings wont show up again in professional pinball tournament.

moral of the story is

pinball should be about natural fairplay and skill on decent pinballgrounds,. just the way it should be.. i hate it when it happens to be the opposite of it.

5. mhs
    March 14, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Can’t really argue much with you Roy. I don’t want tables to play the way you describe either, and we do our best to make them hard without making them unfair, but it’s not a perfect science. Sometimes things change during a tournament due to heat, vibrations, etc, sometimes games don’t play the way they did when you tested them because of slight leveling or pitch issues, and sometimes we flat out make mistakes. But we always try to make the games fair for all players. This is one of the reasons everyone gets a chance to practice on the games for a short period before the finals begin on Sunday.

6. Paul F. J.
    March 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Hey Adam, no rush with that 2nd game on IM ;-). Will definitely skip that vid haha.

Cheers guys, have fun @Pinburgh 2012 and see you in August

7. Roy Wils
    March 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

mhs you are totally right about the practice pinball before playing the semies part,. and yes by that ive could have knew that super tilt setting bit..

but it was just a min to play on before i switched on another game

i just didnt catched that great sensitive tilt information on it while i practiced on it obviously,. in such way its my own fault. yes

but its history now..

i’ll take it now as a big lesson learned for the next papa or pinburgh tournament ๐Ÿ™‚

next time first thing i do is nudge the game straight on to it to get that info,.

and yeah the fact that bowen and paul did pull of an good game on sm, makes my point look quite weak .. anyway i will let the matter rest,. and focus on the positive and bright side.. and that is that ive learned some important lesson back there..

8. March 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have to disagree with Roy about the tilt. The video shows several players making saving moves, some with no warnings. I felt the tilt on Spider-Man was pretty fair, and it compared reasonably to the tilt on other games in PAPA qualifying and finals. I have played Spider-Man with an even tighter tilt in another tournament, so this one felt right to me.

Players were given a 30-second warmup on all the finals machines, so next time you should use that warmup time to determine the game’s tilt setting. Part of playing a new game where you don’t know the tilt is conservative measures: don’t take a tilt warning too early if you can avoid it.

It is revenge for your save on High Speed 2 at PAPA 8! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Roy Wils
    March 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm

as i said indeed bowen,. my point of view looks very weak as you and paul did put up an good game on it. i gotta tell you.. i was so frikkin flabbergasted by tilting the first ball just 5 sec plunging the ball,. plus it was for not any good reason at all to shake the machine.. that was unbelievable, maded me sick there..

anyway another been there done that story..

should be playing more conservative yes,. measure the tilt and all safely before shaking it like ‘normal’

anyway you mentioned my save on high speed 2 @ papa8, hmzzz i dunno even remember that particular try to ‘save the ball’ moment.. must have been bad then thou, of you remembering it.. i tend to forget bad stuff :$:$

and if i see that my end score of around 100million on hs2 on the list.. geez that must have been an frustating sucker swing the game act to save the ball.. which i dont even know of anymore im affraid :$ if that is what you see in your memory bowen.. then in that case,i have got to say sorry for that.

sometimes i wish to fast forward time,. and that is exactly what i like to do rightnow.. i wanna fast forward to pinburgh 2012 and have a blast!! ๐Ÿ™‚

cant wait to see you people all up there at the papa place ๐Ÿ™‚

10. mhs
    March 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You bet, Roy. Looking forward to posting more of your videos!

11. Zackariah
    March 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Wow that was the most intense match I’ve seen for a while! I was actually cheering out while watching the video in my dorm room.

12. March 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm

If someone asks me to tell them why Spider-Man is my favorite pinball game, I will point them to this video.