Pinburgh Video Coverage Begins

We take a short break from our PAPA 14 coverage to offer the first Pinburgh video of the year. In round 10, we have four players on the qualifying bubble playing Stern’s new AC/DC Premium. All four players are doing what they can to learn the new game’s strategies during tournament play.

All three AC/DC machines were brought to Pinburgh courtesy of fellow pinball player and Stern Distributor Trent Augenstein.

This game is available to play this weekend at the Michigan Pinball Expo!

1. April 13, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Lyman’s cryptic software…

17+ million points awarded for changing the song… WOW.

I’m looking forward to figuring out why.

2. April 14, 2012 at 12:35 am

While I am not certain, I believe it is re-awarding the value of the mode points earned on the ball. It could also be something related to the number of “song requests” earned during play of the mode, especially since it’s a nice round number.

Someone with an AC/DC could probably figure this out by testing during gameplay.

3. Winball Pizard
    April 14, 2012 at 1:26 am

Awww yea, been waiting pinburgh vids all week! Do the players have any chance to play a machine before this game? I’ve played AC/DC LE once and selected Highway to Hell because I thought the song was cool…. Wonder if anyone shared my strategy 🙂 Can’t wait to see more!

4. April 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

It’s great to see the newest Stern machine in action! I can’t wait to find one of these on location so I can give it a spin. Looks fun!

5. dj Ansi
    April 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm

In the latest software update, the bonus for switching songs has been drastically cut, usually scoring 3-4 million. This is on the Pro version, not the Premium one but I assume the update is for both.

6. April 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm

When was that software update? The software used at Pinburgh was the latest update, installed March 30.

7. Kevin Stone
    April 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

Played on a Pro in the Outer Banks Pinfest Saturday and definitely did not get the bonus expected from switching songs compared to all the LEs in Texas, didn’t get to try the LEs in Pinburgh.

8. Adam Becker
    April 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I think the bonus from switching songs as Bowen mentioned had to do with the jackpot value built during the song.

Also the value resets at the end of each ball, so if you have a great ball on the song, but don’t get the switch song before you drain you end up losing all your song bonus and thus end with a smaller overall jackpot.

At least that is what I’ve been able to figure out for the short amount of time I’ve played the machine.

9. Rob Wintler-Cox
    April 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm

@Winball Pizard: Yes, there was ample opportunity for players to practice… in addition to this game, there was another LE and a Pro at Pinburgh available for play at any time (thanks, Trent!). I was able to play a couple of practice games before the tournament started and did try out one of the Hell songs so I could play the miniplayfield. But as Bowen points out, it wasn’t the rich vein of points I was hoping it would be… maybe it gets better the longer you play it. During my tournament round on this set of machines, I took a pal’s advice to select War Machine then pounded on the spinner (Bowen mentioned that too in the video). That ended up being a very lucrative strategy for me.

10. dj Ansi
    April 16, 2012 at 11:15 pm

@Bowen Kerins: I looked up on Stern’s site which stated that the update for the Pro version came out on March 22nd, and that there haven’t been any updates for the other versions yet. However I think Jam multiball turned from 3 to 2 balls after the update, and in this video it uses 2. So I’m stumped!

11. bowen
    April 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Yeah, I was pretty sure we were using the most recently updated code, and in this game Jam starts with 2 balls with the add-a-ball available. I’m stumped too. Somebody out there figure out how the song-changing bonus works, immediately!

12. Todd L. Williams
    April 18, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’ve played to pro version quite a few times…not sure what software they are using. But I think…and I may be wrong…(I also haven’t watched this vidoe yet but i will)

I think, that the bonus for changing songs is a reflection of the number of song requests you picked up during the current song (reset if you lose the ball). And I think song requests are shots that correspond to shots other than the current playing song.

The reason I think this is because I have tried a strategy of switching songs to get to encore, basically ignoring the current mode shots. The bonus for changing songs as soon as the jukebox is lit always seems to be pretty standard…between 2-4 million…sometimes less if you change the song on the plunge.

The only times I have seen very large bonuses for changing the song (24 million) or so, has been the result of playing a multiball or two (Since you can’t change the song during multiball) and then changing the song after the multiball is over.

And I have seen song change bonuses drastically different than the jackpot value for the canon shot…IE got the mode jackpot up to 10 million or so, then changed the song and was dissapointed when it was only 4 million.

I will watch the video and see if that seems to be the case.

All that said, I regularly play a pro machine and I have no idea how frequently they change the software…although I have seen significant drop offs in the song change bonus recently.

13. Todd Williams
    April 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

Bowen, (And everyone)

I watched the chunk of video in question…albiet with the sound off (at work…don’t tell).

The fact that it’s such a round number also leads me to believe it has to do with song requests. If it were a reawarding of the total points accumulated in the mode, doesn’t seem like it would always be so clean.

Plus…Bob’s ball would have collected several song requests…going through three multiballs and all.

One gripe about the song requests is that you can never tell how many you have until it says jukebox lit. Kinda takes the motivation away from what could be a fun strategy (getting through the songs to get to encore).

Still haven’t seen encore by the way…has anyone been there. I’ve gotten through ten songs on a 5 ball game…but that’s the closest I’ve gotten.

-PAW

14. April 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I drained during the 12th song on my most recent play. So that sucks a little. Sounds like you have figured out how to light the next song, which I am still unclear about.

15. Todd Williams
    April 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Yeah…I think…not sure…that it’s song requests.

Which I think, but not sure, are any shot that doesn’t correspond to the current song. If you notice when you shoot the left ramp when it isn’t runaway train it makes the train sound. I think that is a song request. I know that I have seen the ball in the pop bumpers and “jukebox lit” suddenly pop up. I think that is because I hit enough bumpers (you shook me all night long) to get the song request that I needed. I think the jukebox lights every 25 song requests or something like that.

16. Colin MacAlpine
    April 27, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Still trying to figure out what qualifies the jukebox for changing songs:

At first, I thought it was completing all the flashing white arrows (during single ball play):
    – Bob lights the jukebox (7:24) on the same shot he loads the cannon. It happens to be that the R ramp, plus the previous shot on the L ramp were the last two flashing white music notes.
    – Robert shoots the R ramp at 22:35, which was his last flashing white note. But jukebox doesn’t light immediately, presumably because the R ramp started a multiball, which trumps the jukebox light. Notice when he drains down to single ball play, the jukebox immediately lights.

Buuuuuuut, at 14:18, Robert also cleared all the flashing white notes in single ball play, and the jukebox did NOT light. Ugh.

To confuse the matter further, Robert begins a multiball at 15:08, with the R ramp NOT representing the last flashing white note. He plays the multiball, and upon draining down to single ball play, the jukebox is immediately lit. This suggests that you CAN qualify jukebox to be lit during a multiball, but the jukebox won’t actually light until you’re down to one ball.

Alternatively, at 17:15, Andrei qualifies the jukebox by completing the AC/DC drop target bank. Is it just this target bank that does so, or was it part of a sequence of completions? I’m leaning toward the latter.

I enjoy the element of learning a new game and figuring out strategies to combine game elements for high scores, but having something as integral to the game as the jukebox qualification be so cryptic and mysterious is a nuisance, imho.

17. Colin MacAlpine
    April 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm

By the way, the math for the jukebox shot (I think this is what is referenced below) according to the March 22 ACDC Pro 1.4 code release is:

“- Changed mode collect scoring. If the song is NOT changed, the bonus is: (50K * # of songs lit) + an additional (200K) if all 11 songs have been lit. If the song IS changed, the bonus is (500K * # of songs completed) + (50K * # of songs lit) + an additional 200K if all songs that have not been completed have been lit.”

Does “songs lit” = “song requests”??

18. Ben Yetter
    May 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Ok here we go took glass off for a few minutes. To get song requests you need to do 9 out of 12 things during the song. Pretty straight forward actually. So if you start out BIB you need to complete 9 out of the 12 songs goals. So you need to shoot the bell for hells bells song to get added right ramp for hwth so on and so forth pops for you shook me. After you complete those goals and hit the stand ups for BIB the mode is over. Shoot Juke to change song. Signalling mode is finished. You dont need mb or to get jackpots.

Your progress is kept on juke and you can see it when you change songs. You will notice after you move off bib in this case that it stays lit.

As of right now the Devil inserts do nothing but add a ball.

If you Jam the spinner and then follow up with a shot to the bell within 2 seconds big payoff.

19. Ben Yetter
    May 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Actually something is wrong here i must have done something to light the mode solid. Everything else is right though. Maybe i hit a super jackpot.