Pinburgh Round 1 – ACDC

We’re going to be showing a few early rounds from Pinburgh while the PAPA 14 finals videos get finished. Josh and Zach Sharpe of the IFPA bring us round 1 coverage on ACDC.

To pre-register for the upcoming PAPA 15 World Championships, click here!

1. Marty
    June 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Nice! Thanks for the video; looks like a fun game. I have never played one of these. Why did the lower playfield never come into play?

2. June 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Three specific songs activate the lower playfield: Highway to Hell, Hell’s Bells, and The Other Song With Hell In The Title. None of the players picked any song with this title, so the lower playfield was never activated.

The software on AC/DC is still being “balanced”, scoring-wise. Personally I find Highway to Hell to be quite valuable, Hell’s Bells is terrific but only if you can get the ball into the freakin’ hole, and The Other Song is not worth a lot. Some players pick The Other Song because it will activate the lower playfield on ball launch and ensure a guaranteed score.

3. KVP
    June 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

Bowen – Your note on the Other Song. For tourney purposes it can be selected if you know your target score is low. At the end of the qualifying for C at Pinburgh I knew I only needed some 5m to advance so I chose this path because it was the best opportunity for the quick points straight off the plunge. I ended up having a really bad game, but succeeded in the goal of getting the 5m via going to hell automatically.

4. Marty
    June 27, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thanks for the explanation Bowen. So I am assuming that the lower PF is not integrated with the upper PF meaning that it has it’s own ball rather than sharing the same one a la black hole or haunted house.

5. Colin
    June 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm

@Marty: Your assumption is correct — ACDC’s lower PF has its own ball. And play is based on a timer rather than one drain and done. You’ll find that you’ll drain frequently, but the ball is relaunched until your timer runs out.

Check out the other PAPA ACDC video for an example of lower PF gameplay.

6. Nick
    June 29, 2012 at 6:26 am

Any chance we’ll see the AC/DC video from Round 6?

June 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I’ve got the scoresheet on my desk. I’ll see if I can pull it out of the pack.

7. Nick