Wizard of Oz Update 1

We will be releasing a series of videos detailing the progress of Wizard of Oz. This video is the first in the series.

1. Rossz
    March 2, 2013 at 9:19 am

Awesome video quality. The playfield almost seems a 3D render instead of the real thing (everything’s so shiny)!

great work with the LCD integration in the video too. I only got a little trouble reading the “shoot the ????” indications during the multiball, even in full screen.

Only drawback: the upper left playfield is almost invisible.

Really hope the game will be available for Pinburgh!

2. Rob Wintler-Cox
    March 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

I wonder if future versions of the software will also feature the ghostly image of Mark Steinman on the LCD…

March 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Sorry Rob, that’s custom.

4. Brandon
    March 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

How were you able to operate the upper right flipper during multiball while keeping the bottom right flipper up to hold the separation?

5. March 2, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Whoa… a satisfying saucer shot? That thing rolled the rim and stuck. Nice.

6. Womble
    March 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm

That’s a shame. It was almost CFTBL-like in its ghostliness.

7. Chris
    March 3, 2013 at 10:23 am

Once again Mark has proved himself the KING of staged flippers. If you’ve never tried it, it is extremely difficult. Even more difficult to get any kind of accuracy on the shot. Do tell, Mark. What’s your secret?

8. GravitaR
    March 3, 2013 at 10:59 am

WoZ lands in Michigan at Marvelous Marvins Mechanical Museum and at the Shark Club (Howell). Go out to play the game and support location pinball. Of course get your practice in on it for PINBURGH!

March 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

There’s plenty of players who do it well. If you don’t push the button down the whole way, it only moves one of the flippers. Works on lots of games.

10. Andreas
    March 4, 2013 at 2:41 am

Am I the only one who thinks using a LCD screen in a pin is a terrible idea? I hope it’s just a one-time experiment thing on this pinball only….

11. Womble
    March 4, 2013 at 5:41 am

I really like the LCD screen. I think it’s progress. Very belated progress.

I just hope there’s no video-games involved in our pinball.

12. Mathew
    March 4, 2013 at 5:48 am

Wombie, in a previous pinball conference the question of video games JJP replied there will be no screen video games in the pinball machine 🙂 This is going to be an amazing machine when it’s released. I’m guessing there will be a few bugs / glitches to start with, as with any new software but I’m sure any will easily be rectified with software updates. I must say, JJP has taken the strong initiative to take pinball to the next level. This is great to see a new company not following that of current pinball makers but taking initiative to bring new technology and excitement to pinball.

13. Womble
    March 4, 2013 at 10:45 pm

need. more. videos.

Just saying. If I don’t get my instructional video fix, I may well have to go and cry. And that’ll be on your heads.

14. March 5, 2013 at 11:01 am

Just an FYI that Mark is organizing and directing a major pinball tournament in Louisville, KY this weekend, along with fixing and prepping 200 pinball machines for the largest-ever pinball tournament five weeks away.

So, the instructional videos might be a little light for the next few weeks… you can always go back and watch some of the hundreds already produced instead 😉

15. JWS
    March 5, 2013 at 12:36 pm

GREED. i commiserate with Womble; it is a little depressing to keep seeing ‘the most recent update was february 15, 2013’. everyone has done such an amazing job with the videos that things can get a little tense and teary after only a few weeks between vids. maybe KME can fill the void? I am looking forward to that 10 hour billion ball 1 on WOZ.

16. O_R_D
    March 5, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Having done some video editing in the past, I can tell these videos take a long time to chop, edit and render. We are all hungry for a constant flow of pinball vids, but the videos don’t upload themselves unfortunately. u_u

17. Womble
    March 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Oh I fully understand and appreciate just how much effort goes in to these videos. The guys do a great job.

I’m just have a sad blub, is all. 🙂

18. JMP
    March 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I’m excited about this machine. As a relative newcomer to pinball though, I was somewhat baffled about the 4-box status display on the screen. It was unclear what they all meant. On the Stern games, they show video and animations not status (aside from perhaps your mode), so JJP is making a departure there. I just felt a tad overwhelmed when I approached it.

After watching someone else play, I’m starting to get it now…

– hitting the bumpers cause Haunted Woods letters to advance.
    – hitting the shot up the middle is the proverbial yellow brick road to multiball

For some odd reason, those things didn’t connect with me when I had an attempt to play it at Expo. I’m starting to get it now.

19. cAyle
    March 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm

That’s a mean right lean.

20. mhs
    March 5, 2013 at 11:27 pm

@cAyle

Yep. It was sitting on a dolly.

21. March 6, 2013 at 10:28 pm

this is my favorite update yet. ghostly image and all.
    howel and michigan expo sounds good.. i’ll bite!