Pinburgh Final: KEITH ELWIN is Pinburgh 2013 Champion

PAPA and Geek Gamer TV teamed up again for live streaming coverage of the Pinburgh 2013 A Division final rounds, beginning at 9 am on April 14, 2013.

We watched some of the best players in the world battle it out for the Pinburgh Cup and a $7,500 cash prize, with a total of $60,000 in cash for the field.  Pinburgh 2013 had the largest prize pool in pinball history.  Keith Elwin stood as champion, surviving an onslaught from local favorite Cryss Stephens.  Each won 2 of the 4 games in the final, but Keith finished second in the other games to carry the group.  Jorgen Holm and Sean Grant worked hard to make the final but did not play as well.

Live coverage was on Geek Gamer TV, Twitch, and Ustream.  Results can be found on papa.org.  Links to the broadcast archives are below.  Geek Gamer TV’s broadcast will be archived on pinball.org/videos soon.

Thanks again to our fans and friends, especially to those who helped with the broadcast: Chase Nunes, Greg Dunlap, Eden Stamm, Cayle George, Keith Johnson, Nicole Anne Reik, Jon Replogle, some lady with jazz hands, and more.  Over 30,000 people watched as PAPA and Geek Gamer TV aired almost 24 hours of live play with commentary.  We see these live streaming broadcasts as the start of something big, and hope you’ll join us next time.

1. O_R_D
    April 14, 2013 at 8:00 am

I’ll be tuning in to watch the whole thing, even if it takes staying up until 3 like with the circuit final.

2. Mar
    April 15, 2013 at 2:26 am

I started watching at 11pm Sydney time but crashed and burned at 6:30am. I was hoping to see the end of the A division but when B and C started playing I realised it wasn’t going to happen. So unfortunately I missed the live games at the end and had to see the end results later in the day.

Loved the coverage and I thank everyone involved. This will do so much for pinball and here’s hoping we get to see this again and again.

My only suggestions would be to have a more clear schedule for the viewers. It’s hard to work out when / if you should be watching as there’s no defined schedule for people to organise their time around. Even if that’s impossible for logistics reasons, more updates on the stream letting people know when people / groups will be playing and for what. I could have happily went to bed earlier and got up in time for the A division final games if I knew ahead of time when they were to happen.

And as others have mentioned, the names of players would be useful. When the B and C divisions started playing it’s easy to zone out because you don’t know people’s names or background so it’s hard to get emotionally invested in the action occurring.

Other than those small things however, I had the best time watching these games and I hope we will see the entire recordings (as well as the 12 hour circuit final) uploaded somewhere at some stage. There’s so much fantastic content from this event it would be a shame to only see some of it.

3. Broasted
    April 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Will the coverage be made available to watch now? I was out of town Sunday and couldn’t see it. I watched all of the Circuit Event, and loved your coverage. Please keep doing this. This is my dream come true. Thanks so much to all involved.

4. Smack
    April 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Broasted, GeekGamerTV’s Twitch page has these archived here:

In case those get removed here are some specific links.

Finals Practice and start of ‘A’ Quarter Finals:

Very short clip of Card Whiz (still ‘A’ Quarters)

End of ‘A’ Quarters, ‘A’ Semis, ‘B’ Finals, ‘A’ Finals

5. CDS
    April 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm

🙂

Starts at 1:17ish

6. Broasted
    April 16, 2013 at 12:04 am

Thanks so much guys. I was really looking forward to watching this, but instead to took a road trip to play pinball. I would not recommend both being poor and living in an area with no machines. Can’t wait to watch these.

7. jws
    April 16, 2013 at 1:38 pm

What a great champion! As the circuit final finished with Daniele as the winner (and atop the current rankings) there was a palpable sense that we could be witnessing a changing of the guard at the pinnacle of pinball. In the face of that prospect Keith leads out the next morning to start a dominant qualifying performance and capture the win that will undoubtedly move him back to number 1. Incredible drama that seems a hallmark of high level sport. Thanks for the live broadcasts bringing these sensational tournaments to a great audience.

8. Garrett Hays
    April 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Holy crap what an event! Just incredible! So many great players and great games! I wish there was a way to isolate the broadcast booth/area from the sound of the PA so everyone watching live could hear the commentary without getting an echo on the actual stream. I need to take more vacation just to watch the circuit final vids and I can’t wait to see the pinburgh vids! Thanks to Mark, Bowen and everyone else who made this event possible. I can’t wait for next year!

9. Ed Z
    April 16, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I can’t get the video links to work anymore. Anybody know where to view this?

10. Smack
    April 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm

The links above will work as popout links but not embedded within Twitch itself. So try these

Finals Practice and start of €˜A’ Quarter Finals:

Very short clip of Card Whiz (still €˜A’ Quarters)

End of €˜A’ Quarters, €˜A’ Semis, €˜B’ Finals, €˜A’ Finals

11. Hank
    April 17, 2013 at 12:17 am

Tell Bowen to quit the day job and live the dream as a full-time pin tourney analyst! I like how he explained what the players were trying to accomplish and offer on-the-fly bonus calculations. What is needed is instant replay slo-mo so we can see how the drains occurred — some were too fast to see!

1. bowen
      April 17, 2013 at 1:48 am

Funny, I don’t really remember much about having a day job last week… 🙂

Instant replay is a tough problem. Very tough. Someday!

12. April 17, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for all the awesome feedback and comments! Believe me, my mind is already spinning on how it can be better next time! 🙂

For those wondering, once I get my computer back from PA, I will start producing videos and they will be available online and via direct download as well.

If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to post them here or send them to me directly chase (at) geekgamer.tv

13. Sandbagger
    April 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

IEPA: No 1 affiliation with only 7 players. FEAR US!

14. Svajje
    April 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Yes, the live streaming was very fine, dislikes was that the viewers got the results between matches, we who were there didn’t. Viewers got to hear what the finalists had to say, we who were there didn’t. Live streaming is fine and dandy, but to ignore us who are there sucks imo.

1. bowen
      April 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

The audio solution we wanted to use did not work. I assure you there was no intent to ignore anyone, and I’m sorry that you thought it sucked.

Updating the crowd between games has always been difficult at PAPA, and the live experience you had was almost identical to the live experience everyone else has had there, ever. It’s a priority for the future, certainly.

1. bowen
        April 25, 2013 at 9:46 pm

An improved microphone system is also part of the current goal of the PAPA TV Kickstarter, so help us get to 37500! At that point I am fairly certain your next viewing experience will be better than … “sucks”.

15. O_R_D
    April 26, 2013 at 2:32 am

Using a bracket generator website like challonge to keep track of scores could be a solution to this issue. Have a projector or a TV screen hooked to the brackets page, so that everybody (both on site participants and stream viewers) can follow live updates as they happen.

1. bowen
      April 27, 2013 at 1:32 am

PAPA and Pinburgh brackets aren’t traditional single- or double-elimination, so any such solution would have to be custom-built. That doesn’t mean PAPA can’t make it happen, but that’s one reason why these difficulties persist.

16. Koi Morris
    April 28, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Instead of a brackets page, how about having a standings page on the PAPA website for the playoffs/brackets and having somebody with a laptop who is following the matches update that page in realtime. That page can then be shown as O_R_D suggests above.

17. Don
    April 30, 2013 at 9:22 am

I missed the last half of the Pinburgh Finals broadcast and can’t find it archived anywhere. 🙁 Is it going to be posted again? When?

1. bowen
      April 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

Patience, kind sir. It’ll happen faster than usual. Next time, watch live! 😉

18. Don
    April 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Believe me. I wish I could have watched it live. Unfortunately, my job demanded that I attend there instead. :p

19. O_R_D
    May 1, 2013 at 4:58 am

I hope the jump into live streaming doesn’t stop PAPA from releasing the YouTube version of the matches as usual.
    As Don said, you can’t always find time to watch it live, and stream archives are extremely unreliable and difficult to download.

20. bowen
    May 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

Please have patience as we are working hard on good things. See the papa.tv Kickstarter for more about the planned releases, but yes, you can expect to be able to watch without relying on a streamed archive.

FYI, the first rounds of Pinburgh 2012 were posted in September, six months after the tournament. So, patience. It’s happening.