Skateball Tutorial

An instructional tutorial video on the pinball classic Skateball.

1. July 2, 2014 at 1:57 am

This is my first time providing some feedback for one of these tutorial videos as I feel this new one for Skateball is really good, with a lot of descriptions of how to play the game and many examples of practical pinball skills and ways to make decisions towards the shots one takes. I’m particularly intrigued by the delayed backhand that was pulled off, where the ball rolled up the flipper to a stop, started to roll back up the flipper, then was backhanded sharply up the right side of the table. I’ve been trying to perform this trick in real life and in computerized pinball games with mostly-accurate physics and have been unable to get it to work, yet in computerized pinball games with terrible physics, this is extremely easy to pull off. I imagine the timing must be VERY different.

As for recommendations of tutorial videos I’d like to see in the future, Black Knight 2000 comes to mind as this has rapidly become my most favourite table and I’d love to hear a pro’s perspective on how to play it. Dr. Who, Firepower, Tron Legacy, Indiana Jones, and Space Riders would be my other suggestions. I also think a neat idea would be to do a double feature of both of the very first Star Trek machines: Gottlieb’s EM from 1971 and Bally’s Solid State from 1978.

Thanks for continuing to make great tutorial videos! 😀

2. Jef
    July 2, 2014 at 1:59 am

Great job as always. It’s fun seeing the older games and the more subtle strategies. Keep up the good work!

3. Pinballwiz45b
    July 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Great tutorial as always! I don’t have very many machines to help master my skills (as I live in the western part of WV). I have TPA thanks to Farsight, and I can get better that way, too. (Heading up to Pittsburgh in and for a few days; maybe Saturday I’ll stop by Kickback Pinball Cafe for a second time.)

I’d love to see a video of High Roller Casino. Played it at a hotel game room 10 years back and loved it.

4. O.R.D.
    July 3, 2014 at 6:36 am

Another awesome tutorial, great job guys.
    For future tutorials, I agree with High Roller Casino, and I’d also love videos for Guns n’ Roses, Goldeneye and Congo.

5. chet
    July 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Very nice tutorial as alway Bowen. I always look forward to your very information lessons on the finer points and strategies of the games.

6. Karl
    July 3, 2014 at 11:17 pm

My enjoyment of pinball has gone up significantly after watching these tutorials – knowing the ruleset of a given machine is way more fun than flailing around haphazardly. Thanks for making these!