Courtesy of Scott Tiesma
Version 1.0 (May 16, 2015)
This version of the Guide should be considered incomplete and I welcome and encourage additions, corrections, and editorial suggestions to improve the document.
This is the first version.
After playing and immensely enjoying the Wizard of Oz pinball and trying to better understand the rules I found that a lot of information was available but not in a single cohesive place other than possibly through a video. Videos are great and I highly recommend them to hear how some truly amazing players approach and strategize how to play this game; however, I wanted something that could be easily searched or referenced so I decided to put this together as an additional reference for players seeking such a guide.
This rule compilation and tips sheet is, to the extent possible (in light of the subject matter being the property of Jersey Jack Pinball), freeware. It can be modified, updated, or revised, provided only that credit to the original author(s) remains intact. It can be published or otherwise distributed, provided only that such distribution is effectively free.
This sheet is written and maintained by Scott Tiesma, tiesmasc at yahoo dot com. If you have any questions or comments or additions or corrections, please forward them on to me or edit the rulesheet and update the version as a living document.
Wizard of Oz the pinball machine is the property of Jersey Jack Pinball (http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/), and a trademark of the licensor. The author(s) disclaim all interest in any trademarks or other intellectual property referenced herein.
Portions of the rulesheet have been directly copied or paraphrased from the Wizard of Oz Operations Manual from June 2015 identified with 70-0001-00 and/or pages on the Pinball News Wizard of Oz pages (http://www.pinballnews.com/games/wizardofoz/index.html), an initial rulesheet and discussion located at Pinside(https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-rulesheet-written), and a wizard mode video located at http://funwithbonus.com/somewhere-over-the-rainbow-wizard-of-oz-pinball/.
Design credits obtained from the Internet Pinball Database (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5800).
Special thanks to the following people who have also contributed additions and corrections:
- None at this time since this is the first version.
Three versions of WOZ have been created by Jersey Jack. I’m not familiar with whether there are rules differences between them or not. I’m certain different software code revisions exist as well but I do not have any details on how they may differ.
- Silver color body armor
- Greenish glass topper showing wizards castle
- Can optionally add Invisiglass and/or Shaker Motor
- Ruby Red color body armor
- Alternate topper showing characters from WOZ
- 4 custom toy playfield additions
- Molded castle walls
- 3D sculpted Twister
- Lollipop (RAINBOW) targets
- Sculpted Toto
- Shaker motor
- Limited to 1500 units
- Can optionally add Invisiglass
- Emerald Green color body armor
- Alternate topper showing Oz and some flames
- Shaker motor
- Limited to 1000 units, Numbered Plaque
- ECM – Emerald City Multiball
- HOADC – Horse of a Different Color
- SOTR – Somewhere Over The Rainbow
- VUK – vertical up-kicker
- WOZ – Wizard of Oz
- WWBM – Wicked Witch Battle Mode
- YBR – Yellow Brick Road
- More to be determined
- Design by: Joe Balcer
- Art by: Jerry Vanderstelt, Greg Freres, Matt Riesterer
- Dots/Animation by: Jean-Paul de Win
- Mechanics by: Bryan Hansen
- Music by: Chris Granner, Rob Berry
- Sound by: Chris Granner, Rob Berry
- Software by: Keith P. Johnson, Ted Estes
- Dennis Nordman built the original house model and the concept for the original witch mechanism.
- Matt Riesterer was the sculptor and fabricator of the Ruby slipper flippers, Munchkin huts and roofs, the witch legs in the house, the witch castle walls, the throwing apple trees, the witch, the State Fair balloon, and the topper. In addition, he co-created the laser-cut Oz head, helped design the crystal ball, and helped with the powder coating.
This is a glossary of the shots and features that will be referred to during the discussion of the game. Because WOZ is a rather cluttered widebody design, this section is quite lengthy. The features are, in general, described starting from the lower right and proceeding counter-clockwise around the main playfield and then describing the two upper playfields.
- Normal configuration
- Normal configuration.
- Right Inlane
- This inlane starts one or more hurry-up shots for an ever-decreasing number of points, and is the end of the wireform leading from the Witch’s Castle exit.
- Right Outlane
- This outlane contains the T-O-T-O rollovers.
- T-O-T-O Rollovers
- 4 button rollovers than enable a right outlane ball save mode where a ball is launched and you have a very short time to make an indicated shot to keep playing. If the shot is not made in time the flippers die and the ball is ended.
- Manual Plunger
- This is a normal plunger. Its lane is medium length and deposits into the right orbit. Different plunge strengths will result in the ball going completely around the orbit, falling into the OZ lanes, or coming down the right orbit to the upper flipper on the main playfield. This enables different skill shots.
- Throne Room Saucer
- A standard saucer with a lit etching of the wizard above it.
- L-I-O-N Rollovers
- A button rollover located left of the throne room
- Munchkinland Magnet
- A magnet located in below the exit hole from the mini-playfield above. Used to capture the ball when starting a munchkinland mode.
- Upper (Main Playfield) Flipper
- Standard Flipper used to hit select shots.
- Collect Lane
- Accessed by raising the right flipper and hitting the ball into this hidden lane which leads to the plunger area.
- Right Orbit
- This lane leads past the upper right flipper around the back of the playfield to the upper left flipper, exiting down the Left Orbit. The automatic plunger fires the ball around the Right Orbit (hopefully). When Gumball is lit, the Right Orbit is used to load the Gumball Machine. When the Right Spiral is lit, shooting the Right Orbit collects it. There is a Spiral Helper magnet on the Right Orbit, near the back of the playfield. There is a red light on a sign above the upper right flipper, indicating when Gumball is lit. The Orbit itself has a large white triangle indicating when Powerball Loop is lit, and beyond that there is a smaller orange triangle indicating when the Right Spiral is lit.
- S-C-A-R-E-C-R-O-W Rollovers
- A button rollover located below the Rainbow targets
- R-A-I-N-B-O-W Targets
- 7 colored targets left of the right orbit
- O-Z Lanes
- Two standard lanes near the top of the machine to collect O and Z letters. Each pair advances multiplier to a maximum of 10x.
- Flying Monkey Magnet
- A magnet above the O-Z lanes used to stop and hold the ball when Capture Dorothy is lit
- Flying Monkey Toy
- The Flying Monkey toy captures Dorothy and brings her to the castle.
- Feeds Munchkinland (lock for Emerald City Multiball) or Twister Mini-Playfield.
- Glinda Target
- A bright pink target between the ramp and Winkie Guard Drop Target.
- Castle Vertical Up Kicker
- A VUK located behind the Winkie Guard Drop Target. It feeds the Witch’s Castle mini-playfield.
- Winkie Guard Drop Target
- A drop target in front of the Castle VUK
- Wicked Witch
- A playfield toy that raises and lowers. Near the witch and under the playfield are two magnets which can play tricks with the motion of the ball.
- Left Orbit
- The left orbit is achieved by shooting through the Haunted Forest Trumper Bumpers and advances the Yellow Brick Road, feeds the Winged Monkey when available, collects a Horse of a Different Color if available, and if nothing else, sends the ball round the orbit lane to the upper right flipper.
- Winged Monkey Targets
- Two blue targets on each side of the left orbit. These both need to be hit some number of times to activate the Winged Monkey / Capture Dorothy feature.
- Haunted Forest Trumper Bumpers
- Three pop bumpers on the left side of the playfield.
- Haunted Forest Target / SKILL Target
- A target on the left wall near the bumpers. It can only be hit by a precise shot from the upper right flipper or a bounce off the pop bumpers.
- T-I-N-M-A-N Rollovers
- A button rollover located below left orbit.
- Rubber between spinner and bumpers
- Relights Glinda target
- Crystal Ball Spinner
- Standard spinner located at entrance to Crystal Ball lane
- Crystal Ball Lane, Saucer, VUK, and Toy
- After passing the spinner the ball will redirected down to a saucer with VUK. Between the entrance and the saucer is the Crystal Ball toy.
- B-A-L-L Targets
- Complete these to light the Crystal Ball feature.
- Left Outlane
- A standard outlane but with unique ball save feature at the bottom.
- Left Inlane
- This inlane starts one or more hurry-up shots and is the end of the wireform leading from the Ramp and Crystal Ball VUK.
- State Fair Balloon Bumper
- A standard bumper that is fed from the left outlane. Only about 40% of the bumper is available to be hit by the ball.
- Additional Switch
- An additional switch next to the State Fair Balloon Bumper
- There’s No Place Like Home Targets
- 5 targets around the exposed portion of the State Fair Balloon Bumper. Theses activate the left lane ball save feature when all are lit.
- A standard size flipper
- R-E-S-C-U-E Targets
- 6 targets that must be lit to activate Rescue Multiball.
- Castle Door
- A door with a saucer behind it.
- Rescue Saucer (behind door)
- Saucer which starts Rescue Multiball
- Search Orbit
- An orbit at the top of the mini-playfield that when lit completes virtual locks in support of Rescue Multiball.
- Winged Monkey Door / Lock Area
- A door in the upper right of this mini-playfield behind which Dorothy can be captured (a ball locked)
- Exit Lane
- Returns the ball to the right inlane.
- A mini-flipper
- Exit Hole
- A hole in the mini-playfield below the mini-flipper which drops the ball to the right orbit slightly above the upper right flipper.
- Twister Orbit
- An orbit going around the house to make it spin.
- Spinning House
- A toy on this mini-playfield which spins with each orbit that is made.
Note: There is a rule flowchart in the WOZ user manual which provides a very nice visualization of how things progress in this game. The manual can be downloaded here: http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/Wizard_of_Oz_Manual_3_0_June_2014.pdf
- Plunge ball so that it goes through the lit lane (which cannot be controlled by flippers). Also awards an OZ multiplier.
Witch Skill Shot
- Plunge ball so that it feeds the upper right flipper and then hit the witch target. Also starts a witch hurry up.
Haunted Forest Skill Shot
- Plunge ball so that it feeds the upper right flipper and then hit the haunted forest (skill) target. Also starts a haunted mode.
Ball Targets Skill Shot
- Before plunging note the lit B-A-L-L target then plunge ball so that it feeds the upper right flipper and then hit the B-A-L-L target that had been lit. Also spots all BALL letters.
No Skill Shot
- Plunge the ball so that it goes past the O-Z lanes and around the orbit and you will not be able to collect any skill shots.
There are 5 different hurry ups available from the inlanes when they are lit. Each hurry up decreases in value over a short period of time until it expires or the hurry up is collected. If a hurry up is collected the next time you start that same hurry up the starting value will be higher (I think).
The hurry ups available from the left inlane are:
- Rainbow – hit a rainbow target (any or a specific one?)
- Oz – hit the right orbit to feed the Oz lanes
- Wizard – hit the throne room saucer
The hurry ups available from the right inlane are:
- Spinner – hit the Crystal Ball spinner
- Oz – hit the left orbit to feed the Oz lanes
- Winkie – hit the Winkie Guard Drop Target
When lit, hit the Glinda target for a �timely, helpful, magical� award.
To relight hit the rubber between spinner and bumpers.
Spell W-I-Z-A-R-D using the throne room saucer to get a random award from the wizard. Possible awards include:
- Light Extra Ball
- Spot Character
- 5,000 Points
- 10,000 Points
- Light Special
- More to be determined
There are six shots around the playfield that can be lit to collect a colored horse toward Horse of a Different Color (HOADC): They are the crystal ball spinner lane, left orbit, castle VUK, ramp, right orbit, and throne room saucer.
Throughout the game the horse inserts around the playfield will randomly change color (and be relit if collected) at the slingshot below the OZ lanes. Each time you make a horse shot that colored horse will be added to your collection (of 4 to 7 horses). If you make the same horse color again you increase the value of that horse’s color. If you have a full collection of horses collected and add another horse that horse will be placed in the leftmost slot and the other horses will shift to the right with the rightmost one falling off the list.
Points Breakdown (from pinside):
- Cow (White): 500 points
- Rainbow (RB): 400 points
- Red: 350 points
- Orange: 300 points
- Yellow: 250 points
- Green: 200 points
- Blue: 150 points
- Violet: 100 points
Add these values up, and then multiply the total based on the following conditions:
- Success – Each horse is a different color or all horses are the same color
- Multiplier: # of horses (4 – 7)
- Raises the # of horses to collect the next round. Maximum is 7
- Failure – At least two different colors and at least two horses with the same color
- Multiplier: 0.5
- Decreases the # of horses to collect the next round. Minimum is 4
- Rainbow Horse – Acts like a wild card, and is always different from any other horse
- Multiplier: 0.5
- All One Color – Still counts as Success
- Multiplier: 3
- All Rainbows – Still counts as Success
- Multiplier: 5
- 4 RB: 32,000 = (400 + 400 + 400 + 400) * 4 (Success) * 5 (All Rainbows)
- Y, G, B, V: 2,800 = (250 + 200 + 150 + 100) * 4 (Success)
- Y, G, B, RB: 2,000 = (250 + 200 + 150 + 400) * 4 (Success) * 0.5 (Rainbow)
- Y, B, V, V: 300 = (250 + 150 + 100 + 100) * 0.5 (Failure)
- V, V, G, RB: 200 = (100 + 100 + 200 + 400) * 0.5 (Failure) * 0.5 (Rainbow)
After the ball goes down the left outlane nudge to light the 5 There’s No Place Like Home targets (which carry over from ball to ball until completed). Once successful a ball will be placed in the plunger lane and after plunging a four stage timed mode will begin. All lit targets in each stage must be completed before time runs out or the ball drains in order to collect bonus points and continue playing / save that ball. The stages are:
- Spell R-A-I-N-B-O-W
- Shoot Crystal Ball and Throne Room
- Shoot Left Orbit and Right Orbit
- Shoot Ramp
After the ball goes down the right outlane and all T-O-T-O rollovers have been lit a ball will be placed in the plunger lane and after plunging the Toto Escapes mode will begin. A single lit shot must be completed before time runs out or the ball drains in order to continue playing / save that ball.
- Escape Elmira – Hit xxx
- Escape Castle – Hit xxx
Spell TINMAN, LION, and SCARECROW via the playfield rollovers. As each is completed the lock will light at the entrance to the ramp and can be collected by shooting this ramp. The ball will lock in Munchkinland and a new ball will be placed at the plunger. After the 3rd ball is locked Emerald City Multiball (ECM) will start which also credits you with progress towards Wicked Witch Battle Mode (WWBM).
To earn a Jewel towards Somewhere Over The Rainbow (SOTR) during ECM you must collect a gift from Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man. Collecting gifts requires you to rollover any character and then collect that character at the ramp. (Do this 3x once for each or just any 3 even with repetition?). Then hit the Throne Room saucer. Then hit a character rollover and then collect that character’s gift at the Throne Room. Hit another character rollover and again collect his gift at the Throne Room. And then hit the final character’s rollover and collect his gift at Throne Room. For reference, Scarecrow gifts a diploma (for brains), Lion gifts a medal (for courage), and Tin Man gifts a heart (for a heart).
I’m not certain if collecting the 3 gifts automatically awards the Jewel or if it lights it for collection somewhere. I also don’t know if the ECM ends after collecting the 3 gifts or continues (but suspect it continues).
Additional Scoring Detail (from pinside):
- Rollover 1: 2,500
- Ramp 1: 7,500
- Rollover 2: 2,500
- Ramp 2: 10,000
- Rollover 3: 2,500
- Ramp 3: 12,500
- Throne Room: 15,000
- Rollover 4: 2,500
- Gift 1: 20,000
- Rollover 5: 2,500
- Gift 2: 30,000
- Rollover 6: 2,500
- Gift 3: 40,000
So if you complete the ECM you will earn a total of 150,000 in jackpots along the way. Tie this into a crystal ball mode, and your score will go up very, very quickly.
To begin Rescue Multiball, Dorothy must be captured by the Winged Monkey and rescued by you. Progress towards rescue can occur prior to Dorothy being captured but rescue itself can’t be completed until after Dorothy has been captured.
To Capture Dorothy, hit the lit Winged Monkey targets in the haunted forest until they are unlit. Then shoot the right orbit and the ball will be captured by a magnet above the O-Z Lanes. The winged monkey toy will then descend, pick up the ball, and return to the witches castle where the ball will be locked behind the winged monkey door and a new ball will be placed in the plunger lane. If for some reason the Winged Monkey fails to get the ball to that lock the game still recognizes that you have Captured Dorothy as indicated by the unlit Winged Monkey targets in the bumper area.
To Rescue Dorothy the Winkie Guard drop target must be knocked down (multiple hits may be required) and the castle accessed via the VUK hidden behind it. Then on the castle mini-playfield RESCUE must be spelled, the door must be hit 3 times (so it will open) and the ball must be shot into the saucer behind the door. At this point Rescue Multiball will start which also credits you with progress towards WWBM.
Prior to (and not during?) Rescue Multiball additional balls can be added to this Multiball by spelling rescue and shooting the lit Search orbit. This also has an added benefit of increasing the jackpot values!
To earn a Jewel towards SOTR during Rescue Multiball you must collect three jackpots at ?one/all? of the lit jackpots (Spinner, left orbit, winkie, ramp, right orbit, saucer), then the super jackpot (???), and then the mega jackpot (???).
I’m not certain if collecting the mega jackpot automatically awards the Jewel or if it lights it for collection somewhere. I also don’t know if the Rescue Multiball ends after collecting the mega jackpot or continues (but suspect it continues).
Complete RAINBOW to light Twister and then access this by putting the ball up the ramp. The ball will then be diverted to the Twister mini-playfield to be shot around the orbit and spin the house. [Note: If lock is also lit that will take precedence.] After 10 orbits are made and the ball exits the mini-playfield a Munchkin Mode will begin and you will also be credited with progress towards WWBM. Also, if you exit the mini-playfield fairly early the ramp will still be lit to regain access to the Twister mini-playfield.
The Munchkin Modes are:
- Welcome to Munchkinland – 25 second mode, all shots score 1000 points, rainbow increases value
- Munchkin Frenzy – 25 second mode, all switches score 100 points, rainbow increases value
- Lollipop Lullaby – to be determined
- Flashing shots add a dancing group? Pink shots switch groups? Chain dancers together for big ??? points?
- Munchkin Multiball – to be determined
To earn a Jewel towards SOTR you must start Munchkin Multiball (which is always the fourth and final Munchkin Mode). I’m not certain if Munchkin Multiball automatically awards the Jewel or if it lights it for collection somewhere.
During Munchkin Multiball … to be determined (what do you do?).
Shoot the witch target to start, advance, and complete Wicked Witch Attack hurry ups.
When you’ve completed three witch attack hurry-ups the Fireball insert in front of the witch will flash red. Hitting the witch once more will start Fireball Frenzy and credit you with progress towards WWBM. During this Fireball Frenzy shoot the blue flashing arrow to score a jackpot and avoid the red flashing arrow(s) as if you hit 3 of them the mode will end. Note: the flashing arrows move around during this mode after one is collected and more red flashing arrows can be added.
To earn a Jewel towards SOTR you must collect 10 Fireball Frenzy Jackpots. I’m not certain if achieving 10 jackpots automatically awards the Jewel or if it lights it for collection somewhere.
Additional Detail (from pinside): Initially you will have one blue and one red arrow lit at random locations. If you shoot the blue shot you’ll collect a jackpot that is worth half the total of the 3 hurry-ups that you collected to get to the frenzy. (So if you collected hurry-ups of 1500, 1700, and 2300 your jackpot will be worth 2750). It also adds 500 points to the next blue shot (so in this case the next blue shot will be worth 3250). If you hit the red arrow (fireball shot), the witch throws a fireball at the scarecrow and decreases the available jackpot by 500. After either shot is made (blue or flashing red/orange) different random shots light up blue and red. As you make blue shots, more fireball shots are added, so it becomes more difficult to avoid hitting fireballs. The mode ends when you hit three fireballs and the scarecrow catches fire, or when you drain your ball in play.
After starting ECM, Rescue Multiball, a Munchkin Mode, and Fireball Frenzy you can start WWBM by hitting the witch. This is a 2 ball multiball where you must hit the lit shots, lock a ball behind Winkie, hit the ramp, and then hit witch in order to Liquidate the Witch and be awarded a Jewel (light a Jewel at the XXX for collection). Loss of a ball ends the mode (I believe).
Haunted Forest Modes are lit by spelling H-A-U-N-T-E-D via Haunted Forest Trumper Bumper hits and progress towards this spelling is shown via inserts in the playfied near these bumpers. Once a haunted mode is lit is started by the ball falling into the Crystal Ball VUK from the bumper area. It cannot be started using the Crystal Ball entrance lane. Each haunted forest mode is timed and gives bonus points for hitting specific shots. The Haunted Forest Modes are awarded in a random, non-repeating order except for Haunted Forest Multiball which is always last.
- Haunted Shots – to be determined (which shots?)
- Haunted Targets – to be determined (which targets?)
- Haunted Holes – to be determined (saucers?)
- Haunted Bumpers – to be determined (bumpers)
- Haunted Forest Multiball – to be determined
To earn a Jewel towards SOTR you must play start Haunted Forest Multiball (i.e. start all 5 Haunted Forest Modes). I’m not certain if this automatically awards the Jewel or if it lights it for collection somewhere.
Spell B-A-L-L to light this mode. Collect by shooting the Crystal Ball through the spinner. This mode will not start if the ball falls into the Crystal Ball from the bumpers. The Crystal Ball modes feature 2 balls and are awarded in a random, non-repeating order except for Flipper Frenzy which is always last:
- Lights Off – 2x scoring, all playfield inserts unlit
- Lights On – 2x scoring, all playfield inserts lit (a beautiful rainbow of colors and very lucrative)
- Weak Flippers – 2x scoring, flipper are weakened
- No-Hold Flippers – 2x scoring, flippers can’t be held up
- Flipper Frenzy – 3x scoring, flipper controls are reversed
To earn a Jewel towards SOTR you must start Flipper Frenzy (i.e. start all 5 Crystal Ball Modes). I’m not certain if this automatically awards the Jewel or if it lights it for collection somewhere.
Advance the Yellow Brick Road (YBR) by hitting the lit ramp or orbit. Awards are given at specific increments as you advance (e.g. extra ball at 10, light special at 30, …)
To earn a Jewel towards SOTR you must advance the YBR 50 times. I’m not certain if this automatically awards the Jewel or if it lights it for collection somewhere.
Collect all 8 Jewels to light SOTR at the ramp. The 8 jewels that must be collected are listed below and method of collection described in more detail above.
- Complete Wicked Witch Battle (liquidate the wicked witch)
- Master Fireball Frenzy (collect 10 jackpots)
- Start Munchkin Multiball (play all munchkin modes)
- Travel the Yellow Brick Road (advance 50 times)
- Complete Emerald City Multiball (collect 3 gifts)
- Start Flipper Frenzy (play all crystal ball modes)
- Complete Rescue Multiball (score a mega jackpot)
- Start Haunted Forest Multiball (play all haunted modes)
After starting SOTR at the ramp the ball will be stopped so you can be given instructions on how to proceed. The instructions are:
- 3 rainbows: �hit� on castle, shots, targets
- Color value goes up each shot
- Relight shots by shooting same colored shot
- House loop changes doubled color
- Complete Rainbows to score a rainbow bonus
- Complete all 3 rainbows to increase scoring multiplier
(My conjecture based upon watching a video is that) During this mode the three rainbows can be found with 2 on the main playfield and 1 on the witch’s castle mini-playfield. On the main playfield the first rainbow is the R-A-I-N-B-O-W targets and the second rainbow is made up of the below specific shots:
- Spinner is lit red
- Left orbit is lit orange
- Winkie/Castle VUK is lit yellow
- Glinda is lit yellow-green
- Ramp is lit green
- Right orbit is lit blue
- Throne room is lit purple
On the Witch’s Castle playfield the third rainbow is made up of the below specific shots.
- R is lit red
- E is lit orange
- S is lit yellow
- Search Orbit is lit yellow-green
- C is lit green
- U is lit blue
- E is lit purple
When a rainbow is completed the playfield light show goes crazy.
I’ve no clue if there is a way to complete this mode or if it is just a lucrative scoring mode.
Collected at the Throne Room.
Possibly Lit by advancing along the YBR (at 10, 50, and …), ???, ??? (may require something else)
To be determined
To be determined…
Stacking and features and multiballs is very lucrative and recommended.
Super X Scoring is when you have balls on multiple playfields… (2x for balls on 2 playfields, 3x for balls on 3 playfields)
Glinda target adds time during Crystal Ball modes?
To be determined
To be determined
- There is a cow on the playfield near the right slingshot.
- Collecting a White HOADC gives a cow.
- More to be determined.